5.10.09

From Ballymun to Carnegie Hall: An evening with Gavin Friday and friends
By CAHIR O'DOHERTY, IrishCentral.com


Published Saturday, October 3, 2009, 12:26 PM
Updated Saturday, October 3, 2009, 12:47 PM



“Bill Graham, a very clever journalist for the Hot Press, Ireland’s premiere rock magazine, once said ‘One day U2 will turn into the Virgin Prunes.’ And they nearly did around Achtung Baby. We were far more extreme. You never know I might turn into U2 eventually.”

An Evening with Gavin Friday and Friends is part of (RED) Nights, a concert series designed to help eliminate AIDS in Africa. But despite its serious theme, you can depend on Friday to throw a memorable party.

“I like being with my mates and having a great dinner and a few drinks. I want the night to be very spontaneous, a one off. What really excites me is having a group of profoundly creative people all over the place. They’ve come here, they’re rehearsing for three days, getting up on stage and doing something that isn’t over marketed, over analyzed, it’s just pure. That excites me. The stakes are going to be glorious.”

Asked if it was true that on Bono’s 33rd birthday Friday sent him a packet containing nails, a hammer and wood with a note marked “DIY” he replied it was. “It was during the Zooropa tour and I was out on the road with them. He didn’t get up on the cross, though.”

Friday hails from Ballymun, at that time considered the projects of Dublin. “Isn’t that great though? I don’t have time to think about it though because right now I’m on autopilot. I’m not going to over think it. It’s a good way to keep happy you know, by staying true to yourself, by saying ah fuck it, this is what I want to do, you know?”

Asked if he’ll celebrate after the show with a few pints Friday replies: “I never drink pints. I’d turn into Van Morrison. If he reads that he’ll kill me. But there’ll be fine wines quaffed after the event, I’ll tell you that baby. It’ll be a very loud late night in upper Manhattan.”

irishcentral

No comments: