27.4.09

Ali and I are like a married couple when raising funds for children of Chernobyl


MISSIONS OF MERCY: Adi Roche, who has helped countless children from Belarus affected by the aftermath of the Chernobyl disaster, is pictured this week with Ali Hewson launching The National Chernobyl Week


Friday, April 24, 2009

TALK about a stressful start to the week -- I had to do a photo shoot alongside Bono's gorgeous wife Ali Hewson. She's so stunning and I just felt knackered, as I've been working so much. And to make things even worse, this giant cold sore just popped up on my lip out of nowhere.

I spent last Sunday on a train from Galway, trying to get a hairdressing appointment so I would look remotely presentable beside Ali. I spent the whole train journey taking phone calls and fielding queries, given that it's National Chernobyl Week.

Monday morning started with an early trip to RTE with Ali to prepare for a radio interview with Pat Kenny. Later, at the photo shoot in the Phoenix Park, we met the Rose of Tralee Aoife Kelly, who's running the mini-marathon in aid of our charity, the Chernobyl Children's Project International. I didn't know who she was; I just saw this beautiful-looking girl. Then I saw the Newbridge crown on her head ...


optimistic

Ali and I had to run down then to meet Eamon Keane for his radio show, and on our way there, we bumped into Minister John Gormley. Taking advantage of the opportunity, we pinned one of our fundraising babushka pins on him -- which he wore on the news that night, I'm happy to say.

Eamon's a real character and was very interested in what we do, so we did a wonderful interview with him.

In the Newstalk studio, we also met the famous Tom Dunne, so we had a few words with him, too.

Then it was time to meet PR queen Tara O'Connor for a fundraising interview, because we are in dire straits. Everyone's broke and we are down €500,000 this year due to the recession -- but you can't panic.

I'm definitely an optimistic, glass-half-full person, otherwise I wouldn't be doing this. As a nation, we know what it's like to be humbled by economic storms and we know what it's like to struggle. Irish people have a great sense of engagement with the children of Chernobyl and really take these youngsters into their hearts.

After all that running around, it was time to hop in the car and head down to Cork, but I was talking the whole way on my hands-free set so it was like I was still working. When I got home, I told my husband, Sean Dunne, that I'd make the dinner -- after another interview. I spoke to Tom McGurk for a while and then it was time to pretend to be a domestic goddess. I would love to be, but I'm so not. My husband is great; he's the one that repairs me all the time and is my biggest supporter.

On Tuesday morning, I had lots of meetings and things to organise. No two days are the same and despite all the running around, I don't sleep well. My husband says I talk in my sleep and he has banned my notebook from the side of the bed.


sanity

I like to unwind by walking, so I did a seven-mile trek on Wednesday. It's the only thing that helps to keep me in balance, so I call it my 'sanity walk'. It clears the head and lets me zone out.

I also love to sing to relax, and, yes, I would love to do a charity single with Bono ... if he's looking for someone who's trying to be a bit cool. I'll leave the songwriting to him, though, and I'll do the backing singing. I have been listening to U2's new album non stop and I

adore Magnificent. I like to think of myself as quite musical -- me and four other women are in this closed harmony group, we love to sing a cappella and we call ourselves The Bubbles. We've been singing since 1991 and sing at the drop of a hat. I'm married to a musician, which also helps, and he plays the piano, accordion, banjo and has taken up the harp.

Reading is another passion, but I steer clear of anything too depressing. I have so much doom and gloom in my life as it is. You get so attached to the children, it's hard not to. I was just thinking this week about a little girl called Sasha, who we had in a hospice programme. She has just died. It's so sad when that happens.

I do try to personalise the work though. We believe as long as there's a heart beat, there's hope. Sometimes there is a miracle and that makes it all worthwhile. Some mornings I wake up and say, "I want to stay in bed," but then something comes into my head that I know I have to do and I jump up and get on with it.

But none of this would be possible without the support of our 1,000 annual volunteers and the generosity of the people of Ireland -- they really are the best.

Yesterday, I headed to Templemore with 300 young gardai to do a huge charity fundraiser, which involved abseiling down one of Ireland's tallest buildings. I have a desperate fear of heights, so brave Ali offered to do it instead, thank God.

We are like an old married couple at this stage. She's the anchor person and has a great ability to give the analytical assessment on things. She's very practical, so we're a good mixture of ying and yang. She is there to pick me up when I come back wrecked; she's as emotionally engaged with it as I am, but is able sometimes to take a step back, whereas I can't. She never falters or wavers and is always there for me, whether there are world tours going on with U2 or whatever. At times, I'm not able to cope with everything, but Ali gives me great personal support and I'm very grateful for that.


disaster

This Sunday, we're heading off for ten days with 80 volunteers to Belarus for the 23rd anniversary of the disaster. We're going to open up two Homes of Hope and 20 children will be given their own foster family. I'm always shattered when I come home from these trips because they take so much out of you, but I feel honoured to do just one tiny thing for these human beings.

I really think Irish people have that X factor -- that extra gene for humanity, and that relates to our history and where we survived through our strength of spirit. This is such a gift to offer to the rest of the world. If our country were in crisis, I honestly believe the first people to come to our support would be the Belarusians.

The National Chernobyl Week runs until Sunday, with charity pins available for €3

source: herald

No comments: